Tom and I are just back from a whirlwind 12 days on Scotty Island. We couldn't stay longer obviously because of Karen's situation. We spent the entire time working on the cabin (I didn't even get the canoe in the water once to give you an idea). We took up two new beds and of course our huge picture window. The beds were almost as much an adventure as the window. We got the futon and the tuft and needle full mattress (to replace the upstairs full box spring and mattress) on Craigslist. Both are essentially new. At the boarder crossing we were told that due to a huge bed bug problem we could not bring them in the country. We were told that if they were new we could. So our option was to go back to the the nearest US dump and get rid of them. (Forget the fact we also paid a fair amount for them.). Then the Canadian customs guy looked at me and said, these are going on an off the grid cabin on an island in Lake of the Woods? I said yes. He said "I believe I heard you say you bought them new. Have a nice day." No kidding.
Getting the new mattress up to the attic was an adventure but we got it up there and the old one that truly was not useable out (and to the Kenora dump along with a truckload of other garbage including that gross old rug that had been up there forever with decades of animal crap in it). Both new beds are amazing. Best sleep either one of us ever had up there.
Getting the new window to Scotty was not easy. It is 7 1/2 " long and almost 4' wide and weighs 150 lbs. just imagine trying to get it on and off a boat that is moving under you without breaking. It also is razor sharp all around (the two glass panels are on the outside of the frame that's in between the panels so you get the idea.) I used the frame I built for the truck and modified it to fit in the boat and we were able to get the window in the frame and eventually out to Scotty in one piece.
The install of the window took most of 3 days. I will tell you the results are so dramatic. You could not really see out of the old one. And it always got the dining area so hot when the sun hit it. I got the high end UV filter argon filled glass unit for the new one and boy does that make a huge difference as far as temperature goes. Plus you don't get a sun burn next to it.
Wen we started taking out the old window we uncovered a huge ant infestation. It was gross. I will send some pictures in a follow on email. But fixing the window frame and installing the new window was a long process. I watched several videos before going up there on how to properly install them and feel I did as good a job as any professional. I somewhat guessed on the actual size of the panel (because to properly measure we would have had to open up the frame) and mine was almost dead on. I was 1/8" larger on each dimension for the new one. We did have to plane one side of the frame for a proper fit. But I was sweating that issue until we got the old window out and could actually measure it. I used the proper glazing tape for that environment, the proper width shims all around and then 100% silicone caulk all around (masking both the window and the window frame for a perfect seam). And on the outside after sealing everything and prepping the frame put 3 coats of the best outdoor paint Sherwin Williams sells. Anyway, if I do say so myself, the result was amazing as you will see in my next email.